Friday, October 24, 2014

Laughter

There are times with my job where it takes all of my patience to tell a patient that they are acting like a spoiled brat. Granted, I understand that they are afraid and are hiding behind a guise of impatience and rudeness to mask their terror and vulnerability, but sometimes some people take it so over the top that even the nicest people I work with are cursing about them behind their backs.

“Sara” is one such woman. She is rude, entitled, and snotty. If we did not drop everything to assist her right that instant, then we would have a Recipient Rights Compliant filed against us. If we told her 'no,' or tried to explain a rule, BAM, RRC. She drives us all up one wall and down another, and all I can do is hide it until I get home, until I can relax with my cup of tea and vent and yes, even laugh about it.

That's one thing I've learned, working here: Laughter really is the best medicine.

I sit at my kitchen table, talking wildly, complaining loudly, and my Chosen sits across from me with a little smile on his face as I begin to mimic her tone, her demands, and suddenly I see how pointless it is to get so worked up over one patient, and I too begin to smile, and suddenly we're both laughing, and after I'm out of air I just smile instead, and then he grins and knocks my shoulder, and I go to bed happy.
Too many people are too easily offended. I know outside of work that I am too. But Sara has taught me that I can't be hurt or confused or offended just because one patient out of hundreds treats me with dismissal and disrespect; I know I have helped a good many people fight their battles, and maybe even defeat a few monsters too. I do good work, and I am proud of my work.

I can't let one woman, no matter how frustrating she is, get the better of me like that. So instead I'll ignore the tone, ignore the rudeness and the threats, and treat her with the same efficiency and care that I do with every patient that I meet.


And, at the end of a particularly hard night, I'll go home, make myself a cup of tea and honey, and laugh about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment